Whether your driving ambition is to see the first blooms of springtime or to be planted firmly in summer, here are six great road trips to celebrate the new season.
Breckenridge, Colorado in Summit County is truly a vision of mountains. There are a handful of routes that offer exceptional views of the Rockies. Summit County is the perfect place to explore off the beaten path or simply take in spectacular high elevation views.
- Loveland Pass is known to be one of the most scenic drives in the area. Take a trip through the ski town of Keystone, Colorado before continuing on U.S. 6 past Arapahoe Basin Ski Area and up to the top of the world.
- The Boreas Pass route is a stunning drive that circles Colorado’s central Rockies, starting out on a paved road until turning into miles of dirt road.
- South of Summit County, you’ll find IndependencePass, rated one of the most beautiful stretches of roadway in America.
Stowe, Vermont offers a number of scenic routes ranging anywhere from just a few miles to longer drives reaching over an hour. Take in the various scenes of rivers, farmland, mountains, valleys, and more. Taking a drive is the perfect day activity at this destination. Recommended road trips include:
- Moscow and Little River (7.9 miles)
- Stowe Hollow, Little River Dam, Ben & Jerry’s and Cold Hollow Cider Mill (37.4 miles)
- Gregg Hill, Winooski River and west approach to Nebraska Range (77.7 miles)
Nevis, Caribbean (Monkey Rock)
The main road that runs all the way around the island is a total of 21 miles. In less than an hour, you’ll see an active volcano (Nevis Peak), sprawling mountains, tropical plains, aqua blue water, beautiful beaches as well as the local markets and culture. Be sure to rent a car during your stay in Nevis to take full advantage of all the island has to offer.
Pocono Mountains, Pennsylvania
More than 65 leisurely mountain miles makes the Pocono Mountain Loop drive a standout in both the spring and summer. Picnic areas, lakes, and ponds are surrounded by colorful carpets of wildflowers and a chartreuse canopy of leafy trees. The route goes north from historic Honesdale to the Upper Delaware River, where fishing is fantastic. Take a detour to the outlets for some retail therapy.
Royal palms and rare orchids dot the Fakahatchee Strand Preserve along Florida’s western coast. By way of the Tamiami Trail, drive from Naples on U.S. 41 to see the state park, and then continue on through the lushness of the Everglades, (the ”Amazon of North America”) ending in Miami.
The Great Smoky Mountains, Tennessee
An early June drive through Great Smoky Mountains National Park presents a burst of color. Profusions of purple Catawba Rhododendrons are at peak bloom in the high elevation. Later in summer, the mountains cast purple shadows and the soft, gentle slopes of the Smokies create a dreamlike skyline.